top of page
Commercial, Residential and Industrial Painting Tips
Reading a Book


Lead is a highly toxic metal that may cause a range of health problems, especially in young children. When lead is absorbed into the body, it can cause damage to the brain and other vital organs, like the kidneys, nerves and blood.

Lead may also cause behavioral problems, learning disabilities, seizures and in extreme cases, death. Some symptoms of lead poisoning may include headaches, stomachaches, nausea, tiredness and irritability. Children who are lead poisoned may show no symptoms.

Both inside and outside the home, deteriorated lead-paint mixes with household dust and soil and becomes tracked in. Children may become lead poisoned by:

  • Putting their hands or other lead-contaminated objects into their mouths,

  • Eating paint chips found in homes with peeling or flaking lead-based paint, or

  • Playing in lead-contaminated soil

  • What can you do?

  • If your home was built before 1978:

  • Wipe down flat surfaces, like window sills, with a damp paper towel and throw away the paper towel,

  • Mop smooth floors (using a damp mop) weekly to control dust,

  • Take off shoes when entering the house

  • Vacuum carpets and upholstery to remove dust,

  • If possible, use a vacuum with a HEPA filter or a “higher efficiency” collection bag,

  • Pick up loose paint chips carefully with a paper towel and discard in the trash, then wipe the surface clean with a wet paper towel,

  • Take precautions to avoid creating lead dust when remodeling, renovating or maintaining your home,

  • Test for lead hazards by a lead professional. (Have the soil tested too).


DC & Associates Painting Company is certified to renovate, repair and paint properties that contain lead based paint. Contact us to have a an EPA – Accredited Renovator come to your location and give you a free estimate.

pop corn ceilng removing.jpg
Reading a Book
  • Do Your Popcorn Ceilings Contain Asbestos?

  • Should You Have Your Popcorn Ceiling Removed?

The Clean Air Act of 1978 banned the use of asbestos in textured ceiling paint. Popcorn ceilings, also called acoustic or textured ceilings, were commonly used in the U.S from the 1950’s into the 1980’s.

Asbestos fibers can cause lung disease, scarring of the lungs and lung cancer, if inhaled in large quantities. But not all popcorn ceilings contain asbestos.

If left undisturbed or contained, asbestos is not dangerous. You can contain the asbestos in a popcorn ceiling by painting it.

But still, many people don’t want it present in their home. If your popcorn ceiling is damaged or crumbling or flakes easily, the tiny fibers can be inhaled.

To determine if your ceiling contains asbestos, you will need to have it tested. To find a licensed asbestos inspector, contact your regional Environmental Protection Agency office.

Call DC & Associates Painting Company to have your acoustic ceiling painted or removed. SAFETY, BUDGET, and SCHEDULE are our priorities.

bottom of page